17 June 2013

Pattern Puzzle - Transparent Tuck Dress

Pattern Puzzle - Transparent Tuck Dress

Congrats to Mioara and Gemma solving the Pattern Puzzle in just one comment!  I think I am going to have to up my game to give you all a bit more of a challenge.  This is just the kind of thing we do in the Draped Dresses workshop at Studio Faro.

Below is recent design development I have decided to use for the Pattern Puzzle this week.  The inspiration comes from Comme de Garcon frock I saw in the late nineties.  The image has always stayed with me.  I love their work.


Working my way through the production sketch gives me time to work out some of the detail in the cutting and making of this dress.  
 I've decided to make the outer shell of the dress in a semi-transparent fabric (black) and the lining of the dress will be flesh tone.  At the point the tucks fold over, the three layers of semi-trnsparent fabric become a solid colour.  A fish tail has been added at the back for style and ease of walking.  What differs in the production sketch is that I have decided not to put tucks in the sleeves as there is enough going on with this dress already.


Set out below is the front and back dress block with the position of the tucks indicated by the red lines.  The green arrows show where the pattern will open up to make the large tucks that are the feature in this style.  The armhole and side seam will stay connected as we open up the CF of the dress for the right and left sides.


The altered pattern (front only) is set out below with the green areas showing the extra fabric involved in making the tucks.  I would cut this dress on the bias, based on the grain running perpendicular to the waist.  The back dress pattern would be treated in the same manner (as the front) with a side seam zipper.
With the first fitting in this draped bias cut dress you may need to tighten the fit through the body of the dress to hold the drape in the tucks.  At the moment these Pattern Puzzles are hypothetical (yet to be fully tested) and are offered simply to inspire.  Enjoy 



Know anyone interested in trying their hand at fashion?   Studio Faro workshops have small groups, professional equipment, thorough demonstrations and detailed handbooks.  All introductory workshops are featured not he website.

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. What a fun piece to execute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda. There are so many great ideas and I wish I had the time to make and test them all. Maybe sometime in the future I will be able to test them and turn them into patterns to sell online. Future goals? Thanks for coming by and thanks for the share. Much appreciated. Anita

    ReplyDelete