13 October 2014

Pattern Puzzle - The Kimono Wrap Dress

We had a fantastic time on Saturday with the #PatternPuzzle.  Jump over to FB and check out the most amazing contributions made by our fans, with drawings no less.  :)

This kimono styled dress was quite a challenge in the pattern making department.  Firstly you have to decide if the wrap over is an authentic two-layer wrap or if you are going to seam the pieces together.  I've gone for the two layer option and included a zip in the CB seam as the only place where the two bodice layers join.





Please feel free to leave any questions in the comments section below.  We love to hear from you.
Enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. It is a great, complex and interesting design. I like very much and I will make an effort to make a prototype. However I will use a block for jersey dartless kimono dress because, in my opinion, this design had to be adjusted on the body. The dartless kimono block (for common woven fabric) added a higher ease allowance on bust line, which I think is not recommended for this design.
    Or I could use a stretch woven fabric. Anyway, worth trying ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mioara. I agree that in the woven block much gape darting is needed to make sure it holds across the body firmly. Perhaps a little more than indicated in this pattern plan. I would work on that issue in the first sample. The jersey version will be wonderful and I would love to see your sample. Thanks for dropping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry, the comment above is from me. I inadvertently not logged in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel a workshop coming on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'd love a few free moments to cut this one. Very wearable. :)

      Delete